PRESIDENT OF SANTON GENERAL COUNSEL, P.C.
Kate helps clients build businesses and counsels them through the myriad legal issues that confront and challenge growing companies.
Kate acts as outside general counsel to a variety of businesses, which involves addressing a company's day-to-day legal needs in the areas of corporate governance, compliance, business formation, risk management, board strategy and advice, litigation strategy and management, contract drafting and review, employment issues, management of intellectual property portfolios and privacy and data security compliance.
Kate also provides legal services to nonprofits in the areas of formation, tax exempt status, governance and legal compliance.
Kate is also experienced in matters involving antitrust law, unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets, privacy law, fraud and business torts, and employment disputes. Kate has practiced in both state and federal courts, including the United States Supreme Court, and in alternative dispute resolution, including both domestic and international arbitral tribunals.
Kate's privacy and cybersecurity practice includes counseling clients on data privacy compliance for state, domestic and foreign regulators, including advertising and marketing, data protection, Safe Harbor certification, electronic and mobile commerce and risk assessment. She has advised clients with respect to data breaches implicating state privacy laws, federal laws, and HIPAA/HITECH Act, including conducting investigations and determining whether notifications to individuals and regulators is warranted. She is a Certified Information Privacy Professional and has published a variety of articles in the data privacy field.
Kate founded Santon General Counsel, P.C. in 2015 after working for six years in a prominent large law firm in Orange County, California.
- Represented the Government of Belize in two investor-state arbitrations before the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague.
- Represented the Republic of Ghana in an action related to disputes over infrastructure development projects, venued in federal court in Washington, D.C.
- Represented the Republic of India in an action related to international terrorism, extradition and prisoner treatment, venued in federal court in California.
- Represented employees who left their company to start a competing business and were sued by prior employer for misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented corporation in lawsuit involving unfair competition law, the Cartwright Act, and intentional interference with prospective economic advantage claims.
- Represented shareholders in lawsuit regarding equity interest in independent practice association
- Represented company in trademark infringement lawsuit
- Advised businesses regarding response to suspected data breach
- Conducted internal investigations for corporate clients into allegations of internal fraud and theft
- Speaker, "Contemporary Trends in Arbitration," University of San Diego School of Law (2015)
- Liabilities Arising From Contract Negotiations (2011)
- Protecting Your Business From Privacy Claims in the Information Age (2011)
- Ethical Issues for In-House Counsel (2010)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals - Certified Information Privacy Professional, United States (IAPP-CIPP/U.S.)
- California State Bar Committee on Federal Courts
- California State Bar Litigation Section's Jury Instructions Committee
- Board of Directors, Mountain and Sea Educational Adventures, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Life Time International, Inc.
- Public Law Center (Silent Auction Committee, Pro Bono Cases)
- President Obama Signs Needed Executive Order Bolstering Security Measures for Federal Credit Cards and Signals Increased Federal Regulation Over Data Breaches (Association of Business Trial Lawyers Report, Winter 2015)
- Message from New York Court: Rely on CGL Policy Coverage for Data Breaches at Your Own Peril (American Bar Association Business Law Section, 2014)
- "Antitrust Injury and Standing" in Proving Antitrust Damages, a book published by the ABA Section of Antitrust Law (Contributor)
- Building a Savvy Privacy Program and Policy (Orange County Business Journal, 2013)
- No Poaching Allowed: Antitrust Issues in Labor Markets (Antitrust Magazine, Summer 2012)
- Privacy Regulations and Protecting Data During Mergers in Data-Rich Industries (Orange County Business Journal, 2011)
- Proposed Rules of Professional Conduct: Impact on Internal Investigations by In-House Counsel (San Francisco Daily Journal, 2010)
- Ethical Issues for In-House Counsel (2010)